12 Reasons to Eat Apples
~ by Christina Menefee
With all the talk of Superfoods and exotic fruits, we sometimes forget the healing powers of simple, easily accessible foods. Take for instance, the apple. We’ve all heard the saying, “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away”. You know that apples are good for you, but do you know just how good?
The Healing Powers of the Humble Apple
- The healing value from the apple comes from its pulp, which contains pectin, a soluble form of fiber.
- Studies have shown pectin to be effective in treating diarrhea because good intestinal bacteria transform it into a soothing, protective coating for the intestinal lining.
- Pectin also adds bulk to the stool which helps to relieve diarrhea.
- Apple pectin has also been shown to be effective against several bacteria known to cause diarrhea such as salmonella, staphylococcus, and e.Coli.
- If you have problems with constipation, apple pectin can add bulk to your stool and stimulate bowel contractions.
- A high fiber diet is effective in reducing blood cholesterol, a risk factor for heart disease and some type of stroke. Fiber from pectin helps keep the cholesterol we eat in the intestine until it is eliminated.
- Apples also contain compounds called flavonoids. Flavonoids are antioxidants that help prevent cell damage that causes arterial narrowing that leads to heart disease.
- The American Cancer Society recommends a high fiber diet to prevent several types of cancer, including colon cancer. Pectin binds cancer-causing compounds in the colon and speeds their elimination from the body. Flavonoids prevent the cell damage that causes many cancers.
- In the Annals of Internal Medicine, a study showed that apple pectin reduces blood sugar level in people with diabetes.
- Some European studies show that apple pectin is effective in eliminating lead, mercury, and other toxic heavy metals from the body. This is especially good for people living in polluted cities.
- Apple leaves contain an antibiotic called phloretin which is effective in treating wounds.
- Some studies have shown that pectin may be effective in keeping cancer from spreading throughout the body.
I always knew apples were good for me, but I was pleasantly surprised to learn of all the medicinal uses for apples.
It is truly a powerhouse of health and healing.
Now, go have an apple today and keep that old doctor away!
Fall Blessings to All,
Reference: The New Healing Herbs by Michael Castleman